Main Article Content
Concussion, Adolescent, Whiplash Injury, Soft Tissue, Post-Concussion Syndrome
Objective: To describe the management of a 15-year-old male who suffered a fall and was diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and whiplash.
Clinical Features: A 15-year-old male experienced a frontal impact injury to the head. He sought chiropractic care for the management of neck pain, dizziness and headache 1 week after his injury.
Intervention and Outcome: Manual therapy included high-velocity low-amplitude (HVLA) chiropractic spinal manipulation (SMT) and soft-tissue therapy. Cervical stretches were provided. The patient had a total of 10 treatments over a period of 8-weeks. Additional recommendations included nutritional supplementation, increased hydration, referral for acupuncture and monitoring by a concussion clinic.
Conclusion: This case study demonstrates improvements in post-concussion symptoms and whiplash in a 15-year-old male following chiropractic care. Further research is required to investigate the effects of chiropractic treatment on post-concussion syndrome.
2. King D, Hume P, Hardaker N, Pearce A, Cummins C, Clark T. Traumatic brain injuries in New Zealand: National Insurance (Accident Compensation Corporation) claims from 2012 to 2016. J Neurological Sci 2019;399:61-68
3. ACC. Injury Statistics Tool. 2014. http://www.acc.co.nz/ about-acc/statistics/injury-statistics/index.htm#results. Accessed 2nd March 2020
4. Carroll L, Cassidy J, Holm L, Kraus J, Coronado V. Methodological issues and research recommendations for mild traumatic brain injury: the who collaborating centre task force on mild traumatic brain injury. J Rehabil Med 2004;36(0):113-125
5. Te Ao B, Tobias M, Ameratunga S et al. Burden of traumatic brain injury in New Zealand: incidence, prevalence and disability-adjusted life years. Neuroepidemiol 2015;44(4):255-261
6. Meeuwisse W, Schneider K, Dvorak J, Omu O, Finch C, Hayden K et al. The Berlin 2016 process: a summary of methodology for the 5th International Consensus Conference on Concussion in Sport. Br J Sports Med 2017;:bjsports-2017-097569
7. Crowe L, Collie A, Hearps S et al. Cognitive and physical symptoms of concussive injury in children: a detailed longitudinal recovery study. Br J Sports Med 2015;50(5):311-316
8. Outcome from mild traumatic brain injury. Iverson GL, Curr Opin Psychiatry 2005; 18(3):301-17
9. Chong C. Management strategies for post-concussion syndrome after mild head injury: a systematic review. Hong Kong J Occupational Ther 2008;18(2):59-67
10. Moreau W, Nabhan D. Development of the 2012 American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians position statement on concussion in athletics. J Chiropr Med 2013;12(4):269-273
11. Alsalaheen B, Whitney S, Mucha A, Morris L, Furman J, Sparto P. Exercise prescription patterns in patients treated with vestibular rehabilitation after concussion. Physiother Res International 2012;18(2):100-108
12. Shane E, Pierce K, Gonzalez J, Campbell N. Sports chiropractic management of concussions using the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 2 symptom scoring, serial examinations, and graded return to play protocol: a retrospective case series. J Chiropr Med 2013;12(4):252-259
13. Senecal I, Kazemi M. Case studies of chiropractic care of sports-related concussion in two adolescent Taekwondo athletes. Acta Taekwondo et Martialis Artium (JIATR) 2017;4(2):13-20
14. Olson HM, Tunning MJ, Boesch RJ. Chiropractic management of musculoskeletal symptoms in a 14-year-old hockey player with postconcussion symptoms: a case report. J Chiropr Med 2016;15(3):208-213
15. Hunt BB, BHK B, Holt K, Cade A. Improvement in concussion symptoms of headache, poor concentration and photophobia in a 13-year-old male receiving chiropractic care: A case report. J Clin Chiropr Pediatr1389.
16. Moore J. Chiropractic management of the craniocervical junction in poist-concussion syndrome: a case series. JContemporary Chiropr 2019;2:92-102
17. Pfefer MT, Cooper SR, Boyazis AM. Chiropractic management of post-concussion headache and neck pain in a young athlete and implications for return-to-play. Topics Integrated Health Care 2011;2(3):1-5
18. Mayheu AM, Sweat MS. Upper cervical chiropractic care of a patient with post concussion syndrome, positional vertigo and headaches. J Upper Cerv Chiropr Res 2011 Jan 6;1:3-9
19. Olson H, Tunning M, Lindholm S. Chiropractic management of three young athletes with concussion. Chiropr J Australia. 2018;46(1)
20. McArthur T, Olson HM. Concussion management in an adolescent football player using individualized rehabilitation along with spinal manipulation: a case report. J Contemporary Chiropr 2019;2:18-24
21. Freeman MD, Croft AC, Rossignol AM. “Whiplash associated disorders: redefining whiplash and its management" by the Quebec Task Force: a critical evaluation. Spine 1998;23(9):1043-1049
22. Marshall CM, Vernon H, Leddy JJ, Baldwin BA. The role of the cervical spine in post-concussion syndrome. Phys Sports Med 2015;43(3):274-284
23. Rodriquez AA, Barr KP, Burns SP. Whiplash: pathophysiology, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. Muscle & Nerve: J Am Assoc Electrodiagnostic Med 2004;29(6):768-781
24. Foreman SM, Croft AC. Whiplash injuries: the cervical acceleration/deceleration syndrome. Baltimore, MD; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2002
25. Van Goethem JW, Biltjes IG, Van den Hauwe L, Parizel PM, De Schepper AM. Whiplash injuries: is there a role for imaging?. European J Radiol 1996;22(1):30-37
26. Borchgrevink GE, Kaasa A, McDonagh D, Stiles TC, Haraldseth O, Lereim I. Acute treatment of whiplash neck sprain injuries: a randomized trial of treatment during the first 14 days after a car accident. Spine 1998;23(1):25-31
27. Pettersson K, Hildingsson C, Toolanen G, Fagerlund M, Björnebrink J. Disc pathology after whiplash injury: a prospective magnetic resonance imaging and clinical investigation. Spine 1997;22(3):283-287
28. Woodward MN, Cook JC, Gargan MF, Bannister GC. Chiropractic treatment of chronic ‘whiplash’ injuries. Injury. 1996 Nov 1;27(9):643-5.
29. Shaw L, Descarreaux M, Bryans R, et al. A systematic review of chiropractic management of adults with Whiplash-Associated Disorders: recommendations for advancing evidence-based practice and research. Work 2010;35(3):369-394
30. Haider MN, Leddy JJ, Wilber CG, et al. The predictive capacity of the Buffalo Concussion Treadmill Test after sport-related concussion in adolescents. Frontiers Neurol 2019;10
31. Philpott JD, Witard OC, Galloway SD. Applications of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation for sport performance. Res Sports Med 2019 Apr 3;27(2):219-237
32. Johnson CD, Green BN, Nelson RC, Moreau B, Nabhan D. Chiropractic and concussion in sport: a narrative review of the literature. J Chirop[r Med 2013;12(4):216-229
33. Treleaven J, Jull G, Atkinson L. Cervical musculoskeletal dysfunction in post‐concussional headache. Cephalalgia 1994;14(4):273-279
34. Haavik H, Murphy B. The role of spinal manipulation in addressing disordered sensorimotor integration and altered motor control. J Electromyography Kinesiol 2012;22(5):768-776
35. Holt KR, Haavik H, Lee AC, Murphy B, Elley CR. Effectiveness of chiropractic care to improve sensorimotor function associated with falls risk in older people: a randomized controlled trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2016;39(4):267-278