Main Article Content
Objective: To describe the diagnosis and management of a previously unrecognized, sport-related concussions in young adolescent patients.
Clinical Features: A 10-year-old female basketball player sustained a concussion during game play that went unrecognized for 3 days, until she sought care for neck pain, headache, mid back pain, and low back pain.
Intervention and Outcome: Chiropractic manipulative therapy, myofascial release, and instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilizations were provided, and therapeutic exercises were implemented. The SCAT-5, SCAT-3 and ImPACT testing were all used to aid in the diagnosis. At the conclusion of treatment, Her clinical features had improved, and she was able to safely return to sport and school.
Conclusion: In this case, a sport-related concussions was initially unrecognized until seen by a chiropractor. This case report outlines the clinical management and outcomes of a young girl with sport-related concussion.
2. Zemek RL, Grool AM, Rodriguez Duque D et al. Annual and seasonal trends in ambulatory visits for pediatric concussion in Ontario between 2003 and 2013. J Pediatr 2017:181:222–228
3. Davis GA, Anderson V, Babl FE et al. What is the di?erence in concussion management in children as compared with adults? A systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2017:51:949–957
4. Kamins J, Giza CC. Concussion-mild traumatic brain injury: recoverable injury with potential for serious sequelae. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2016:27:441–452
5. Ellis MJ, Bauman S, Cowle S, Fuselli P, Tator CH. Primary care management of concussion in Canada. Paediatr Child Health 2019:24:137–142
6. Arora S, Kurji AK, Tennant MT. Dismantling sociocultural barriers to eye care with tele-ophthalmology: lessons from an Alberta Cree community. Clin Investig Med 2013:36:E57–63
7. Huot S, Ho H, Ko A, et al. Identifying barriers to healthcare delivery and access in the Circumpolar North: important insights for health professionals. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2019;78(1):1571385. doi:10.1080/22423982.2019.1571385
8. Jong M, Mendez I, Jong R. Enhancing access to care in northern rural communities via telehealth. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2019;78(2):1554174. doi:10.1080/22423982.2018.1554174
9. Cusimano MD, Chipman M, Donnelly P, Hutchison MG. Effectiveness of an educational video on concussion knowledge in minor league hockey players: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 2014:48:141–146
10. Williamson RW, Gerhardstein D, Cardenas J, Michael DB, Theodore N, Rosseauk N. Concussion 101: The current state of concussion education programs. Neurosurg 2014:75:S131-S135
11. Johnson CD, Green BN, Nelson RC, Moreau B, Nabhan D. Chiropractic and concussion in sport: a narrative review of the literature. J Chiropr Med 2013;12:216–229
12. Halstead ME, Walter KD, Moffatt K; COUNCIL ON SPORTS MEDICINE AND FITNESS. Sport-Related Concussion in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics. 2018;142(6):e20183074. doi:10.1542/peds.2018-3074
13. McCrory P, Meeuwisse W, Dvo?ák J et al. Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport-the 5th International Conference on Concussion in Sport. Berlin, October 2016. Br J Sports Med 2017;51:838–847
14. May T, Foris LA, Donnally III CJ. Second impact syndrome. [Updated 2019 Nov 20]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK448119/
15. Jackson WT, Starling AJ. Concussion evaluation and management. Med Clin North Am 2019:103:251-261. doi: 10.1016/j.mcna.2018.10.005
16. Halstead ME, Walter KD, Moffatt K. Sport-related concussion in children and adolescents. Pediatrics 2018:142(6). doi: 10.1542/peds.2018-3074.
17. Willer B, Leddy JJ. Management of concussion and post-concussion syndrome. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2006;8:415–426
18. Alsalaheen B, Mucha A, Morris L. Vestibular rehabilitation for dizziness and balance disorders after concussion. J Neurol Phys Ther 2010;34:87–93
19. 12. Schneider K, Meeuwisse W, Nettel-Aguire A. Cervicovestibular rehabilitation in sport-related concussion: a randomized controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 2014;48:1294–1298
20. Henry LC, Elbin RJ, Collins MW, Marchetti G, Kontos AP. Examining recovery trajectories after sport-related concussion with a multimodal clinical assessment approach. Neurosurg 2016;78:232–241