Main Article Content
Objective: To discuss the professional identify of chiropractic as evident in the profession’s literature.
Methods: Structured literature review followed by a pragmatic historical narrative of found artefacts.
Results: The literature appears vague regarding chiropractic’s identity.
Discussion: The literature does allow a broad determination that the identity of chiropractic is unimodal gathered around the founding premise of DD Palmer with an informed prediction of a left-skewed, negative distribution of concessional chiropractors representing no more than 30% of all. It appears this minority becomes more dogmatic as it concedes elements of conventional identity and adopts extreme evidence-based musculoskeletal medicine to become a sect of about 0.2% of all. About 70% of chiropractors identify with subluxation in an evidence-informed context and I call this representation the conventional chiropractic identity.
Conclusion: The identity of chiropractic may now be described as conventional when its practitioners adhere to the profession’s founding precepts, or concessional when it modifies or ignores these. The majority of the profession can be considered conventional.
2. Bovine G. John Evans Riadore, MD, MRCSE and LSA 1818 FLS, FRCS (Sen) 1852 [A Treatise on] Irritation of the Spinal Nerves. Chiropr Hist. 2012;32(1):49-57.
3. Bovine G, Silver JR, Weiner M-F. The role of Edward Harrison’s (1766–1838) disciples, Thomas Engall, John and George Epps, Charles Hoyland, John Evans Riadore, John Robinson and John Baptiste de Serney, in the treatment of spinal deformity in the Victorian medical world. J Med Biography. 2012;20(1):18-24. DOI 10.1258/jmb.2010.010061.
4. Johnson C. Use of the term subluxation in publications during the formative years of the chiropractic profession. J Chiropr Humanit. 2011 Dec;18(1):1-9. DOI 10.1016/j.echu.2011.10.004. Epub 2011 Dec 6. PMID: 22693477; PMCID: PMC3342826.
5. Palmer DD. Chiropractic History. The Chiropractor. 1904;1(1):9.
6. Brown T. On Irritation of the Spinal Nerves. Glasgow Med J. 1828;1(2):131–60.
7. Barrows HA. Case of spinal irritation. Boston Med Surg J. 1834;8:70-1.
8. Gillies H. The theory and practice of counter-irritation (Review). Am J Med Sci. 1896-04: 453-4. URL https://doi.org/10.1097/00000441-189604000-00007.
9. Senzon SA. The chiropractic vertebral subluxation Part 1: Introduction. J Chiropr Humanit. 2018;25:10-21. URL https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S155634991830010X.
10. Keating JC, Jr., Charlton KH, Grod JP, Perle SM, Sikorski D, et al. Subluxation: dogma or science? Chiropr Osteopat. 2005;13:17.
11. Palmer DD. Chiropractic. The Chiropractor. 1906;11(12): inside page Par. 2 ‘Defined’.
12. Prxsportscare. When a chiropractor cracks your back, what happens? Web: Health / Therapy / 29 December 2017. URL https://www.prxsportscare.com/chiropractor-cracks-back-happens/.
13. O’Neill A. Enemies within and without: educating chiropractors, osteopaths and traditional acupuncturists [The-sis]. Bundoora, Vic: La Trobe University Press 1994. URL https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/372277.
14. O’Neill A, Willis E. Chiropractic and the politics of health care. Aust J Pub Health. 1994;18(3):327-31.
15. Haldeman S. The importance of research in the principles and practice of chiropractic. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 1976;10(Oct):7.
16. Hartvigsen J, French SD. So, what is chiropractic? Summary and reflections on a series of papers in Chiropractic and Manual Therapies. Chiropr Man Ther. 2020;28(4). URL https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-019-0295-2.
17. Ebrall PS. Chiropr Hist. Finding the professional identity of chiropractic in Australasia: A pragmatic narrative of the Formative Period to 1960. 2020:in press.
18. Chiropractic Library Collaboration. Index to Chiropractic Literature. chiroindex.org.
19. Minnesota Historical Society Guidelines for Historical Research and Writing. Retrieved 25 Feb 2018. URL http://www.mnhs.org/legacy/grants/docs_pdfs/Historical_Research_Guidelines.pdf.
20. Garraghan GJ. A Guide to Historical Method. New York: Fordham University Press. 1946.
21. Caza BB, Creary ST. The construction of professional identity (Electronic version). Retrieved 10 December 2019 from Cornell University, SHA School site 2016. URL http://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/articles/878.
22. Slay HS, Smith DA. Professional identity construction: Using narrative to understand the negotiation of profes-sional and stigmatized cultural identities. The Tavistock Institute. hum.sagepub.com. DOI 10.1177/0018726710384290.
23. Gibson DM, Dollarhide CT, Moss JM. Professional identity development: A Grounded Theory of transforma-tional tasks of New Counselor. Counselor Education and Supervision. 2010;50 (September):21-50.
24. Cramer GD, Cambron JA, Winterstein J. Patient perceptions of chiropractic treatment for primary care disorders. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2007;30(1):11-6. URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Citation&list_uids=17224350.
25. Wilson K, Swincer K, Vemulpad S. Public perception of chiropractic: A survey. Chiropr J Aust. 2007;37(4):135-40.
26. Russell DG, Glucina TT, Sherson MW, Bredin M. A survey of the public perception of chiropractic after expo-sure to chiropractic public place marketing events in New Zealand. J Chiropr Humanit. 2017;24(1):9-14. URL https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5812904/pdf/main.pdf.
27. Hawk C, Ndetan H, Kizhakkeveettil A, Cambron N, Scarlett NA, et al. Research. Complementary and alterna-tive medicine professions students’ perceptions about interdisciplinary collaboration. Top Integr Health Care. 2012;3(2). URL http://www.tihcij.com/Articles/Complementary-and-Alternative-Medicine-Professions-Students-Perceptions-about-Interdisciplinary-Collaboration.aspx?id=0000364.
28. Jensen Stochkendahl M, Rezai M, Torres P, Sutton D, Tuchin P. The chiropractic workforce: A global review. Chiropr Man Ther. 2019;27(36). URL https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-019-0255-x.
29. Data sourced from the WFC home page at URL wfc.org and verified by personal email 24 June 2018: Richard Brown, Secretary-General, World Federation of Chiropractic.
30. Council on Chiropractic Education Australasia. Competency Standards 2017. URL https://www.ccea.com.au/files/1015/0450/1916/CCEA_Accreditation_and_Competency_Standards_2017.pdf.
31. Peck J. The straight - mixer quandary - Will chiropractic survive? Can it thrive? Chiropr Dialog. 2015;2015(1):1-8. Paywall URL http://chiropracticdialogues.sharepoint.com/Pages/2015_1219_straightmixer.aspx.
32. World Federation of Chiropractic. Identity consultation. Retrieved July 15, 2016. URL https://www.wfc.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=64&Itemid=93&lang=en.
33. WFC document, multi-authored. Final Report of the Identity Consultation Task Force. Retrieved 4 September 2019. URL https://www.chirobase.org/01General/consultation_on_identity.pdf.
34. The Rubicon Group website. Policies. Retrieved 04 September 2019. URL http://www.therubicongroup.org/policies/.
35. Arnold LE. Identity of Chiropractic. J Chiropr. 1985;22(2):28-9.
36. Brown RA. Spinal Health: The Backbone of Chiropractic’s Identity. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016;23:22-8.
37. Rademacher WJ, Troyanovich SJ. Maintaining the identity of chiropractic as a drug-free health care profession. Chiropr Dialog. 2016;2016(1). URL http://chiropracticdialogues.sharepoint.com/Pages/2016_1458_identityofchiropractic.aspx.
38. Hawk C. Wellness in practice: evidence of chiropractors’ views on identity: who do we think we are? J Am Chi-ropr Assoc. 2004;41(5):43-50. URL http://www.acatoday.org/content_css.cfm?CID=2255.
39. Donovan J, Cassidy JD, Cancelliere C, Poulsen E, Jensen Stochkendahl M, et al. Beyond the spine: A new clini-cal research priority. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2015;51(1). URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4319449/.
40. Bronfort G, Hegetschweiler K, Labrot TM, Lawrence D, Nelson CF, et al. Chiropractic as spine care: A model for the profession. Chiropr Osteop. 2005;13(1). URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1185558/.
41. Briggance BB. A proposal regarding the identity of chiropractic: embrace the centrality of the spine. J Chiropr Humanit. 2005;12. URL http://archive.journalchirohumanities.com/Vol%2012/JChiroprHumanit2005-12-8-15.pdf.
42. Hart J. Analysis and adjustment of vertebral subluxation as a separate and distinct identity for the chiropractic profession: A commentary. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016;23(1). URL http://www.journalchirohumanities.com/article/S1556-3499(16)30005-5/fulltext.
43. Swinburne RG. Vagueness, Inexactness, and Imprecision. Br J Philos Sci. 1969;19(4):281-99. URL https://doi.org/10.1093/bjps/19.4.281.
44. Oakley PA, Cuttler JM, Harrison DE. X-Ray Imaging is essential for contemporary chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases benefits and reduces risks. A Vertebral Subluxation Res. 2019;July 29:104-9.
45. Oakley PA, Cuttler JM, Harrison DE. X-Ray Imaging is essential for contemporary chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases benefits and reduces risks. Dose Response. 2018;16(2). DOI 10.1177/1559325818781437.
46. Kawchuk G, Goertz C, Axén I, Descarreaux M, French S, et al. Letter to the Editor Re: Oakley PA, Cuttler JM, Harrison DE. X-Ray Imaging is essential for contemporary chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases benefits and reduces risks. Dose Response. 2018 Jun 19;16(2). Dose Response. 2018;16(4). DOI 10.1177/1559325818811521.
47. Anderson B. Critical analysis of ‘X-Ray imaging is essential for contemporary chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases benefits and reduces risks by Oakley et al.’ Dose Response. 2018 Oct-Dec; 16(4). DOI 10.1177/1559325818813509.
48. Oakley PA, Cuttler JM, Harrison DE. Response to Letters From Anderson and Kawchuk et al: ‘X-Ray Imaging is essential for contemporary chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases bene-fits and reduces risks.’ Dose Response. 2018;16(4):1559325818809584. DOI 10.1177/1559325818809584.
49. ICA files ‘Complaint’ Against Two Members of the WFC after Praising Work of Organization (News). The Chronicle of Chiropractic. 7 May 2019 11:38 http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/164234.
50. ‘Its Absolutely Rubbish’ Claims WFC Researcher Jan Hartvigsen on Use of X-rays to Identify Subluxation (News). The Chronicle of Chiropractic. 21 April 2019 13:55 http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/163926.
51. Taking X-Rays for Subluxation Management is ‘Careless & Unsupported by Evidence’ Says World Federation of Chiropractic (News). 12 January 2019 14:38 The Chronicle of Chiropractic. http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/161664.
52. ICA Board Shocks Members & Votes to Accept Georgia Chiropractic Association as Affiliate (News). 22 May 2019 19:58 The Chronicle of Chiropractic. http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/164547.
53. Kent C. An Evidence-Informed Approach to Spinal Radiography in Vertebral Subluxation Centered Chiropractic Practice. A. Vertebral Subluxation Res. 2017;142-6.
54. Oakley PA, Cuttler JM, Harrison DE. X-Ray imaging is essential for contemporary Chiropractic and manual therapy spinal rehabilitation: Radiography increases benefits and reduces risks. Dose-Response. 2918;1-7 DOI 10.1177/1559325818781437.
55. Bigos SJ, Bowyer OR, Braen GR, Brown K, Deyo R. Acute low back problems in adults. Clinical practice guidelines no. 14. Rockville Md: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Public Health Service, US Dept. of Health and Health Services; 1994 Publication No. 95-0642.
56. Van Tulder M, Becker A, Bekkering T, et al. European guidelines for the management of acute nonspecific low back pain in primary care. Cost B13 Working Group on Guidelines for the Management of Acute Low Back Pain in Primary Care; 2004.
57. Ammenodolia C, Taylor JAM, Pennick V, Côté P, Hogg-Johnson S, et al. Adherence to radiography guidelines for low back pain: A survey of chiropractic schools worldwide. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2008;31(6):412-8 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=18722195.
58. Ammendolia C, Brussières A, Peterson C, Taylor JAM. Commentary: Ionizing radiation exposure – more good than harm? The preponderance of evidence does not support abandoning current standards and regulations. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2006;50(2):103-6 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1839988/.
59. Beck, RW, Holt, KR, Fox, MA, Hurtgen-Grace, KL. Radiographic anomalies that may alter chiropractic inter-vention strategies found in a New Zealand population. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2004;27(9):554–9.
60. Carparni J. reporting ‘Heath J, Coroner’: Chiropractors should carry out X-rays before treating clients to prevent future deaths (News Report). The Telegraph. 18 November 2019 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/18/chiropractors-should-carry-x-rays-treating-clients-prevent-future/.
61. Coroner urges first aid training for chiropractors (News Report). BBC News. 18 November 2019 https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-50457351.
62. Laycock M. Inquest into death of John Lawler hears expert opinion on broken neck (News Report). The Press. 14 November 2110 accessed at https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18034608.inquest-death-john-lawler-hears-expert-opinion-broken-neck/.
63. Jenkins HJ, Downie AS, Moore CS, French SD. Current evidence for spinal X-ray use in the chiropractic profes-sion: A narrative review (Review). Chiropr Man Ther. 2018;26(48): https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-018-0217-8
64. Kawchuk G, Goertz C, Axén I, Descarreaux M, French S, et al. The Effect of Spinal Adjustment / Manipulation on Immunity and the Immune System: A Rapid Review of Relevant Literature. World Federation of Chiroprac-tic. Retrieved 26 March 2020 https://www.wfc.org/website/images/wfc/Latest_News_and_Features/Spinal_Manipulation_Immunity_Review_2020_03_19.pdf.
65. National University of Health Sciences. Home page / Admissions. Retrieved 23 March 2020 https://www.nuhs.edu/admissions/chiropractic-medicine/.
66. Keiser University. Home page / Program mission and vision. Retrieved 19 August 2020 https://www.keiseruniversity.edu/doctor-chiropractic-dc/
67. Keating Jr JC. The JMPT: conception, birth & early years. Dynamic Chiropr 09 March 1998;16(6). URL https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=37109. .
68. National University of Health Sciences. Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine Info Night. Retrieved 23 March 2020 https://info.nuhs.edu/doctor-of-chiropractic-programs-info-night-events.
69. News item: Florida Would Become a ‘Diploma Mill’ for chiropractors if CCE Only Language is Removed Says Keiser University Lobbyist. The Chronicle of Chiropractic. 26 April 2019 http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/164044.
70. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. Home. Retrieved 23 March 2020 https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/journal-of-chiropractic-medicine/vol/18/issue/2.
71. Santos LV, Córdoba LL, Lopes JBP, Oliveira CS, Grecco LAC, et al. Active visceral manipulation associated with conventional physiotherapy in people with chronic low back pain and visceral dysfunction: A preliminary, randomized, controlled, double-blind clinical trial. J Chiropr Med. 2019;18(2):79-89 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2018.11.005.
72. Palmer DD. Chiropractic Mixed - or - Pure and Unadulterated. The Chiropractor. 1905;1:8.
73. Maxel X, Girollet F, Stubbe L, Boudot E, Darraillans L, et al. Aquatic Osteopathy treatment assessment by infra-red thermography on healthy subjects after thermoneutral water immersion. J Chiropr Med. 2019;18(3):18807. URL https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2019.07.007
74. Bolton, S.P. (1985). Roots: A mainstream chronicle. Journal of the Australian Chiropractors’ Association. 15(2):44-5.
75. Peters RE, Chance MA. 1910: A significant year (or the New Zealand influence). Chiropractic Journal of Aus-tralia. 1995;25(2):42-9.
76. Campbell SA, Black A, Dillon J. The Rise and Legitimation of Chiropractic: A study of professionalisation [Thesis]. University of New England. 1985. URL https://hdl.handle.net/1959.11/12799
77. Simpson JK. The influence of political medicine in the development of the chiropractic profession in Australia. [Thesis]. University of Queensland. 2002. URL https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:105997
78. O’Neill A. Enemies within and without : educating chiropractors, osteopaths and traditional acupuncturists. [Thesis]. LaTrobe University. 1994. Call number 615.530711 O58e.
79. Peters RE. An early history of chiropractic. The Palmers and Australia. Dissertation. 2014. RMIT University. Asheville: Integral Altitude.
80. Ebrall PS. Finding the professional identity of chiropractic in Australasia that shaped education: A pragmatic narrative of the Inquiry Period from 1960 to 1979. Chiropr Hist. 2020:in press.
81. Engelhardt HT. The Disease of Masturbation: Values and the concept of disease. Bull Histo Med. 1974;48:234-8. In HT Engelhardt Jr. and SF Spicker (eds). Evaluation and explanation in the biomedical sciences. Dordrecht: Reidel. 1946:125-41. Retrieved 25 August 2020. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. URL https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/medicine/
82. Faulkner TJ. The chiropractor’s Protégé. American School of Chiropractic. Rock Island IL: Association for the History of Chiropractic. 2017:320-38.
83. Fitton J, Green BN, Ruge R. John Fitz Alan Howard, D.C. founder and first president of The National College of Chiropractic. Chiropr Hist. 1994 Jun;14(1):37.
84. Keating Jr JC, Jackson RB, Oliva M, Phillips RB. Origin of the LACC, 1901-1922. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1994;17(2):93-106 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8169549.
85. Keating Jr JC, Montgomeri DP. Logan Basic College in the era of Vinton Logan. Chiropr Hist. 2006;26(2):55-70.
86. Smith O. Naprapathic Chartology. Chicago: Chicago College of Naprapathy. 1917.
87. Zarbuck MV. A profession for ‘Bohemian Chiropractic’: Oakley Smith and the evolution of naprapathy. Chiropr Hist. 1986;6:76-82 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=11621192.
88. Beiderman RP. Oakley Smith’s schism of 1908: the rise and decline of naprapathy. Chiropr Hist. 1994 Dec;14(2):44-50.
89. Keating Jr JC. Chiropractic at the Turn of the Century. (Newspaper) Dynamic Chiropractic. March 12 2001;19(6): https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=17943.
90. Keating Jr. JC, Cleveland III CS, Menke M. Chiropractic History: a primer. Davenport IA: Association for the History of Chiropractic. 2004.
91. Gibbons RW. Solon Massey Langworthy: Keeper of the flame during the 'lost years' of chiropractic. Chiropr Hist. 1981;1(1):15-21http://www.historyofchiropractic.org/assets/documents/1-1-Gibbons.pdf.
92. Smith O, Langworthy S, Paxson M. Modernized chiropractic. Cedar Rapids: Lawrence Press. 1906.
93. Biron WA, Wells BF, Houser RH. Chiropractic principles and technic. Chicago: National College of Chiroprac-tic. 1939.
94. World Federation of Chiropractic. Home wfc.org
95. DC Staff. Lebanese DCs victorious. [News]. Dynamic Chiropractic. Digital exclusive, August 2020. URL https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/digital/index.php?i=1268&s=123247&l=13&a_id=58736&pn=31&r=t&Page=31
96. WHO. Guidelines of basic training and safety in chiropractic. Geneva: World Health Organisation. 2005
97. Gwilliam EM. Diagnosing Chiropractic ‘Subluxation’ in ICD-10-CM. 28 November 2016. Retrieved 18 Febru-ary 2020 https://www.icd10monitor.com/diagnosing-chiropractic-subluxation-in-icd-10-cm
98. 2020 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code M99.13 Subluxation complex (vertebral). Retrieved 18 February 2020 https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/M00-M99/M99-M99/M99-/M99.13
99. National Centre for Statistics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ICD-10-CM. Retrieved 18 February 2020 https://icd10cmtool.cdc.gov/?fy=FY2019
100. The Menace of Chiropractic. An outline of remarks made by Robert B. Throckmorton, Legal Counsel, Iowa Medical Society, at the North Central Medical Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota. November 11, 1962. Plain-tiff exhibit 172 of 2 December 1975 coded 00131. Copy of document held in the collection of the researcher
101. Mirtz TA. A treatise for a new philosophy of chiropractic medicine. Chiropr Man Ther. 2017 ;25(7):https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-017-0138-y.
102. Emary PC, Houweling TAW, Wrangler M, Burnie SJ, Hood KJ, et al. A commentary on the implications of medication prescription rights for the chiropractic profession. Chiropr Man Ther. 2016;24(33): https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-016-0114-y.
103. International Chiropractors Association. Public statement: ICA Opposes attempts to expand doctors of chiro-practic scope of practice to include the prescribing of dangerous drugs and administration of natural substances under certain circumstances. Retrieved 24 March 2020 http://www.chiropractic.org/ica-issues-public-statement/.
104. Wardwell W. Continuing problems and dilemmas, In Chiropractic. History and evolution of a new profession. St Louis: Mosby Year Book. 1992:257.
105. Jamison JR. Health promotion: Exploring the behaviour of chiropractic patients. Chiropr J Aust. 2000;30(3):96-101.
106. Good C. Chiropractic Identity in the United States: Wisdom, Courage, and Strength. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016:29-34 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.echu.2016.08.001.
107. Kent C. A new direction for the CCE? Dynamic Chiropractic (News). November 18 2010;28(24): https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=55021.
108. Edwards J. What Is the CCE Trying to Pull? (News). Dynamic Chiropractic. October 21 2010;28(22): http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=54917.
109. Coulter ID. The chiropractic wars or the enemy within. Am J Chiropr Med. 1989;2(2):64-6.
110. 68-95-99.7 rule. With regard to Gaussian distribution. Wikipedia. 24 March 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68–95–99.7_rule.
111. Charlton KH. Chiropractic and the gold standard. Chiropr J Aust. 1986;6(1):9.
112. Peters RE. In Memoriam. Reggie R. Gold, DC, PhC, FPAC, Philosopher of Chiropractic 16 December 1925 – 24 March 2012 [eulogy]. Chiropr J Aust. 2012;42(2):78-9.
113. Harris SL, Tuttle CD, Lee K, Wisdo J. Frederick H.E. Barge, D.C., PhC., F.I.C.A., S.C.S., L.S.A.: Chiropractic’s articulate crusader. Chiropr Hist. 2003;23(2):17-8.
114. Seaman DR. Who are the left-wing and right-wing chiropractors? The American Chiropractor. 1996;May/June:20.
115. Richards D. Scientific Report. Southern Cross University School of Health and Human Sciences. Research Con-ference. Gold Coast 2019.
116. Simpson JK, Young KJ. Vitalism in contemporary chiropractic: a help or a hinderance? Chiropr Man Therap. 2020;28(35). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-020-00307-8
117. Taylor C. Definition of bimodal in statistics. ThoughtCo. URL https://www.thoughtco.com/definition-of-bimodal-in-statistics-3126325
118. Siegal AF. Histograms. In Practical Business Statistics 74. London: Academic Press (Elsevier). 2016. URL https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/mathematics/bimodal-distribution
119. Glucina TT, Krägeloh CU, Farvid P, Holt K. Moving towards a contemporary chiropractic professional identity. Com Ther Clin Prac. 2020;39:101105 DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2020.101105
120. Walker BF. The new chiropractic. Chiropr Man Ther. 2016;26(26):http://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-016-0108-9.
121. Mirtz TA. A treatise for a new philosophy of chiropractic medicine. Chiropr Man Ther. 2017;25(7): https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-017-0138-y.
122. Leboeuf-Yde C, Innes SI Young KJ, Kawchuk GN, Hartvigsen J. Chiropractic, one big unhappy family: better together or apart? Chiropr Man Ther. 2019;27:https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-018-0221-z
123. Rosner AL. Chiropractic identity: A neurological, professional, and political assessment. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016;23(1):http://www.journalchirohumanities.com/article/S1556-3499(16)30002-X/fulltext.
124. Reggars JW. Chiropractic at the crossroads or are we just going around in circles? Chiropr Man Ther. 2011;19:http://chiromt.com/content/19/1/11/abstract.
125. Strahinjevic B, Simpson KJ. The schism in chiropractic through the eyes of a 1st year chiropractic student. Chi-ropr Man Ther. 2018;26:2 DOI 10.1186/s12998-017-0171-x.
126. Young KJ. Gimme that old time religion: The influence of the healthcare belief system of chiropractic’s early leaders on the development of x-ray imaging in the profession. Chiropr Manual Ther. 2014;22(36): http://www.chiromt.com/content/22/1/36.
127. Perle SM. The dichotomy in the profession. J Am Chiropr Assoc. 2000;37(3):49-9.
128. Mirtz TA, Perle S. The prevalence of the term subluxation in North American English-language Doctor of Chi-ropractic programs. Chiropr Man Ther. 2011;19(14): http://chiromt.com/content/19/1/14/abstract.
129. Editors’ statements. Chiropractic and Manual Therapies. Retrieved 22 August 2020 from https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com
130. Innes S, Beynon A, Hodgetts C., et al. Predictors of instantaneous relief from spinal manipulation for non-specific low back pain: a delphi study. Chiropr Man Therap. 2020;28:39. URL https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-020-00324-7
131. Côté P, Bussières A, Cassidy JD, Hartvigsen J, Kawchuk GN, et al, plus >140 signatories. A united statement of the global chiropractic research community against the pseudoscientific claim that chiropractic care boosts im-munity. Chiropr Man Ther. 2020;28:21. URL https://doi.org/10.1186/s12998-020-00312-x
132. Nielsen OL, Kongstead A, Christensen HW. The chiropractic profession in Denmark 2010–2014: A descriptive report. Chiropr Man Ther. 2015 ;23(27):Online access only at http://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-015-0072-9
133. Myburgh C. A qualitative exploration of key informant perspectives regarding the nature and impact of contem-porary legislation on professional development: A grounded theory study of chiropractic in Denmark. J Manipu-lative Physiol Ther. 2014 Jul-Aug;37(6):383-95. URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25092554
134. Nielsen OL, Konmgsted A, Christensen H. The chiropractic profession in Denmark 2010–2014: a descriptive report. Chiropr Man Therap. 2015;23:27 DOI 10.1186/s12998-015-0072-9
135. Clinical Biomechanics - the chiropractic programme (BA). University of southern Denmark / Programs. URL https://www.sdu.dk/en/uddannelse/bachelor/klinisk_biomekanik
136. Myburgh C, Multon J. The development of contemporary chiropractic education in Denmark: An exploratory study. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2008;31(8):583-92. URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=18984241
137. Hartvigsen J, Sorensen LP, Grunnet-Nilsson N, Stiochkendahl MJ. Chiropractic patients in Denmark 2002: an expanded description and comparison with 1999 survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2006;29(6):419-24. URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Citation&list_uids=16904487
138. Malmqvist S, Leboeuf-Yde C. The Nordic Maintenance Care Program: Case management of chiropractic pa-tients with low back pain - defining the patients suitable for various management strategies. Chiropr & Osteopat. 2009;17(1): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2717107/
139. Iben A, Lise H, Leboeuf-Yde C. Chiropractic maintenance care - What’s new? A systematic review of the litera-ture [systematic review]. Chiropr & Manual Ther. 2019 ;27(63). URL https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-019-0283-6
140. Hestbæk L, Jørgensen A, Hartvigsen J. A description of children and adolescents in Danish chiropractic practice: Results from a nationwide survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009. Oct;32(8):607-15. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19836596
141. Wiberg KR, Wiberg JMM. Retrospective study of chiropractic treatment of 276 Danish infants with infantile colic. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2010 Sep;33(7):536-41. URL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20937431
142. Evidence-based practice. AHPRA/Chiropractic Board of Australia. Statement by the Chiropractic Board on pae-diatric care. URL https://www.chiropracticboard.gov.au/Codes-guidelines/Position-statements/Statement-of-Paediatric-care.aspx
143. Statement on Paediatric Care. Australian College of Chiropractic Paediatrics. URL https://accp.asn.au
144. Murphy DR, Schneider MJ, Seaman DR, et al. How can chiropractic become a respected mainstream profes-sion? The example of podiatry. Chiropr Man Therap 16, 10 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1340-16-10
145. Ebrall P. Murakami Y. A Critical analysis of the Reality Distortion of chiropractic among scientists with con-structive criticism of the current debate. J Phil Princ Prac Chirop. 2019;July 11 https://www.vertebralsubluxationresearch.com/2019/07/10/a-critical-analysis-of-the-reality-distortion-of-chiropractic-among-scientists-with-constructive-criticism-of-the-current-debate/.
146. Kent C. Vertebral Subluxation: Semantic pathology, epistemic trespassing, and ethics. J Phil Princ Prac Chiropr. 2018;July 23:1-7. Paywall URL https://www.vertebralsubluxationresearch.com/2018/07/22/vertebral-subluxation-semantic-pathology-epistemic-trespassing-and-ethics/
147. World Federation of Chiropractic. Home / Research Committee. Retrieved 23 March 2020 https://www.wfc.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=145&lang=en.
148. News Item. WFC President Laurie Tassal resigns amid scandal at organization’s Berlin convention. The Chroni-cle of Chiropractic. 16 May 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2020 http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/164441.
149. News Item. ICA files ‘complaint’ against two members of the WFC after praising work of the organisation. The Chronicle of Chiropractic. 7 May 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2020 http://chiropractic.prosepoint.net/164234.
150. Welsh S. President’s Comments: Maintaining the complaint with WFC. International Chiropractors Association. Newsletter March 2020.
151. News report. U.S. vendors pull WFC sponsorships ... but the reason why will surprise you. Dynamic Chiroprac-tic. 2020;(38):79 URL https://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/digital/index.php?id=a853e338&Page=79
152. Welsh S. ICA President Rejects proposition that subluxation-based chiropractic is not evidence-based. News item. International Chiropractors Association. Retrieved 25 March 2020 http://www.chiropractic.org/ica-president-rejects-proposition-that-subluxation-based-chiropractic-is-not-evidenced-based/
153. World Federation of Chiropractic. Identity consultation. Retrieved 15 July 2016 URL https://www.wfc.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=64&Itemid=93&lang=en
154. World Federation of Chiropractic. Home / About WFC / Our Principles. Retrieved 25 March 2020 https://www.wfc.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=534&Itemid=230&lang=en
155. World Chiropractic Alliance. Home. Retrieved 23 March 2020 https://worldchiropracticalliance.org.
156. Hildebrandt RW. The Science of Chiropractic. Am J Chiropr Med. 1990;3(2):93-100.
157. Coulter ID. The patient, the practitioner, and wellness: Paradigm lost, paradigm gained. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1990;13(2):107-11 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2307916.
158. Coulter ID. The chiropractic paradigm. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1990;13(5):279-87 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2376722; Letters: Coulter ID, Keating Jr JC. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Nov-Dec 1990;13(9): 556; and Coulter ID, Donahue J. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1990;13:(9):554-6.
159. Senzon SA. The chiropractic vertebral subluxation Part 6: Renaissance of D.D. Palmer’s paradigm from 1949 to 1961 J Chiropr Humanit. 2018;25:86-98 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1556349918300147.
160. Gatterman MI. The patient-centred paradigm: A model for chiropractic health promotion and wellness. Chiropr J Aust. 2006;36(3):92-6.
161. Jamison JR. Chiropractic education: reflecting the paradigm dilemma of chiropractic practice. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1994;17(3):186-93.
162. Association of Chiropractic Colleges. Bylaws Chiropractic Paradigm / Scope of Practice. Retrieved 28 October 2019 http://www.chirocolleges.org/resources/chiropractic-paradigm-scope-practice/.
163. McCoy M. The ACC Paradigm - Something We Can All Agree Upon? (Editorial) J. Vertebral Subluxation Res. 2003 April 3:1-4.
164. Sportelli L. Is chiropractic a profession in search of an identity? J Chiropr. 1989;26(9):5+.
165. Australian Chiropractors Association. Home page. Retrieved 21 October 2019 https://www.chiro.org.au/patients/.
166. Chiropractic Australia. Home page. Retrieved 21 October 2019 https://chiropracticaustralia.org.au.
167. Gonstead Chiropractic Society Australia. Home page. Retrieved 21 October 2019 https://www.gonstead.com.au.
168. New Zealand Chiropractors’ Association. Home page. Retrieved 21 October 2019 https://www.chiropractic.org.nz.
169. New Zealand Chiropractors’ Association. About / History. Retrieved 17 January 2020 https://www.chiropractic.org.nz/about-us/history-of-nzca/.
170. New Zealand Chiropractors Association. About / History of NZCA. Retrieved 26 November 2019 https://www.chiropractic.org.nz/about-us/history-of-nzca/.
171. Winter DO. Submission on chiropractic by the Australian Chiropractors Association to the Federal committee of Enquiry into Chiropractic, Osteopathy and Naturopathy. Faulconbridge: Australian Chiropractors’ Association. 1975:10.
172. Chance-Peters MA, Peters RE. Chiropractic in Australia 1985: A thumbnail sketch. Eur J Chiropr. 1985;33(3):169-87.
173. Bolton SP. Chiropractic Education in Australia: A short history of its emergence and development. Chiropr J Aust. 2010;40:88-90.
174. Bolton SP. Branches: From mainstream roots. J Aust Chiropr Assoc. 1986;16(3):99-102.
175. Bolton SP. The influences on Queensland chiropractic history: Mainstream versus medical dominance. Chiropr J Aust. 1992;22(1):15-26.
176. Bolton SP. Second-stream colleges in Australia (letter). Chiropr Hist. 1998;18(1):8.
177. Chance MA, Peters RE. Identity, role and direction. Chiropr J Aust. 1994;24(2):41.
178. Bolton, S.P. (1970). Report on chiropractic. Journal of the Australian Chiropractors’ Association. Aug- Oct:11-4.
179. Peters, R.E., Chance, M.A. (1995). 1910: A significant year (or the New Zealand influence). Chiropractic Jour-nal of Australia. 25(2):42-9.
180. Chiropractic Australia. Home / About / History. Retrieved 25 November 2019 https://chiropracticaustralia.org.au/about-ca/history.
181. Devereaux EP. History of chiropractic from a New South Wales perspective (1969-1982) (personal memoir). Australas Chiropr Osteopat. 1998;7(2):68-79 http://www.coca.com.au/journal/articledetails.asp?ID=75.
182. Devereaux EP. Controlling registered practitioners: Another view. Chiropr J Aust. 2002;32(4):151-6.
183. Ebrall PS, Molyneux TP. Thirty years of chiropractic education at RMIT University: The establishment period 1975-1978. Chiropr J Aust 2005;35:29-38.
184. The International Chiropractic Education Collaboration. Clinical and Professional Chiropractic Education: A Position Statement .13 September 2019 https://www.cmcc.ca/documents/international-chiropractic-education-collaboration-position-statement.pd6.
185. Terrett AGJ. Misuse of the literature by medical authors in discussing spinal manipulative therapy injury (Re-view). J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1995 May;18(4):203-10 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7636409.
186. Wenban AB. Inappropriate use of the title chiropractor and term chiropractic manipulation in the peer-reviewed biomedical literature. Chiropr Osteopat. 2006 ;14(1): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1570468/
187. Macquarie University Department of Chiropractic. Retrieved 12 September 2019 https://www.mq.edu.au/about/about-the-university/faculties-and-departments/faculty-of-science-and-engineering/departments-and-centres/department-of-chiropractic.
188. Murdoch University School of Health Professions/chiropractic. Retrieved 12 September 2019 http://www.murdoch.edu.au/School-of-Health-Professions/.
189. Australian Chiropractic College. Retrieved 12 September 2019 https://acc.sa.edu.au.
190. New Zealand College of Chiropractic. Retrieved 12 September 2019 http://chiropractic.ac.nz.
191. Gonstead Chiropractic Society Australia. President Toby Fraser. Committee. Retrieved 25 November 2019 https://www.gonstead.com.au/menu-1/committee/.
192. Australian Chiropractors’ Association. President Anthony Coxon. About. Retrieved 25 November 2019 https://www.chiro.org.au/about-aca/.
193. Chiropractic Australia. About / The Board of Directors. President Rob Bonello Retrieved 25 November 2019 https://chiropracticaustralia.org.au/about-ca/executive-team/.
194. New Zealand Chiropractors’ Association. President Hayden Thomas. Retrieved 25 November 2019 https://www.chiropractic.org.nz.
195. Australian Chiropractors’ Association (Victorian Branch). (Undated, c. 1976). Rebuttal to the Victorian Report upon Osteopathy, Chiropractic and Naturopathy. Bundoora: P.I.T. Press.
196. Teece JC, Chair. Health Commission of New South Wales. Report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Ques-tion of the Registration of Chiropractors. Sydney: Government Printer 1973.