Main Article Content
Auriculotemporal Nerve, Neuralgia, Soft Tissue
Objective: To describe the resolution of auriculotemporal neuralgia utilizing chiropractic interventions and instrument-assisted soft-tissue manipulation.
Clinical Features: A 65-year-old male sought chiropractic care for right-sided neck pain radiating into his external ear and parietal region, accompanied by frequent headache. The patient described this as a chronic tenderness that became worse over the past week.
Intervention and Outcome: Chiropractic managementincluded spinal manipulation, pin and stretch, instrument-assisted soft-tissue mobilization, and a home-exercise program.
Conclusion: Our case identifies a peripheral nerve entrapment of the auriculotemporal nerve that led to auriculotemporal neuralgia. The combination of multimodal chiropractic intervention for the treatment of this condition should be studied in more detail.
2. Piagkou MN, Demesticha T, Piagkos G et al. Mandibular nerve entrapment in the infra temporal fossa. Surg Radiol Anat 2011;33:291-299
3. Santos RC, Chagas JF, Bezerra TF et al. Frey Syndrome prevalence after partial parotidectomy. Braz Jour Otohinolaryngol 2006;72:112-115
4. Greenberg J, Breiner M. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing; Treasure Island, FL;Aug 10, 2020. Anatomy, Head and Neck, Auriculotemporal Nerve
5. Stuginski-Barbosa J, Murayama RA, Conti PC, Speciali JG. Refractory facial pain attributed to auriculotemporal neuralgia. J Headache Pain 2012;13(5):415-417
6. Kravchik L, Singh M, Khambhati K, VanHoy TB. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing; Treasure Island, FL:Jul 2, 2020. Ear Nerve Block
7. Wilhour D, Nahas SJ. The neuralgias. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2018;18(10):69
8. Murayama RA, Stuginski-Barbosa J, Moraes NP, Speciali JG. Toothache referred from auriculotemporal neuralgia: case report. Int Endod J 2009;42(9):845-851
9. Speciali JG, Goncalves DA. Auriculotemporal neuralgia. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2005;9:277-280.
10. Attal N Cruccu, G Baron R et al. European Federation of Neurological Societies. EFNS guidelines on the pharmacological treatment of neuropathic pain; 2010 revision. Eur J Neurol 2010;17:1113-e88
11. Herath C, Zhou Y, Gan Y, Nakandawire N, Gong Y, Lu Z. A comparative study of interprofessional education in global healthcare. Med 2017;96:38 (e7336)
12. Rosenthal B, Lisi A. The extent of interprofessional education in the clinical training of integrated health and medicine students: a survey of educational institutions. Topics Integrative Healthcare 2015;6(1)