Main Article Content
Trigeminal Neuralgia, Boxing Injuries
Objective: To describe the successful chiropractic treatment of a patient with trigeminal neuralgia.
Clinical Features: A 25-year-old male had burning left-sided jaw and face pain present for 6 months. This was previously diagnosed by an MD as trigeminal neuralgia.Intervention and Outcome: The conservative treatment consisted of a combination of cold laser therapy, manual therapy, and mobilization of the mandible and cervical spine. His symptoms improved following treatment and resolved after 3 months of care. They returned after an injury experienced during a boxing match and were again resolved with additional course of conservative care.
Conclusion: This case describes the treatment of a patient with trigeminal neuralgia using chiropractic manipulation and cold laser and manual therapy, which led to the resolution of symptoms and allowed the patient to return to normal activities.
2. Cruccu G. Trigeminal neuralgia. Continuum (Minneap Minn)., Selected Topics Outpatient Neurol) 2017;23(2):396-420. doi:10.1212/CON.0000000000000451
3. De Toledo IP, Conti Réus J, Fernandes M et al. Prevalence of trigeminal neuralgia: A systematic review. J Am Dent Assoc 2016;147(7):570-576.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2016.02.014
4. Tomasello F, Alafaci C, Angileri FF, Calisto A, Salpietro FM. Clinical presentation of trigeminal neuralgia and the rationale of microvascular decompression. Neurol Sci 2008;29 Suppl 1: S191-S195. doi:10.1007/s10072-008-0923-4
5. Cruccu G, Finnerup NB, Jensen TS et al. Trigeminal neuralgia: New classification and diagnostic grading for practice and research. Neurol 2016;87(2):220-228. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000002840
6. Maarbjerg S, Di Stefano G, Bendtsen L, Cruccu G. Trigeminal neuralgia – diagnosis and treatment. Cephalalgia 2017;37(7):648-657. doi:10.1177/0333102416687280
7. Shankar Kikkeri N, Nagalli S. Trigeminal neuralgia. [Updated 2021 Nov 25]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554486/
8. Gronseth G, Cruccu G, Alksne J et al. Practice parameter: the diagnostic evaluation and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the European Federation of Neurological Societies. Neurol 2008;71(15):1183-1190. doi:10.1212/01.wnl.0000326598.83183.04
9. Antonini G, Di Pasquale A, Cruccu G et al. Magnetic resonance imaging contribution for diagnosing symptomatic neurovascular contact in classical trigeminal neuralgia: a blinded case-control study and meta-analysis. Pain 2014;155(8):1464-1471. doi:10.1016/j.pain.2014.04.020
10. Rodine RJ, Aker P. Trigeminal neuralgia and chiropractic care: a case report. J Can Chiropr Assoc 2010;54(3):177-186
11. Falaki F, Nejat AH, Dalirsani Z. The effect of low-level laser therapy on trigeminal neuralgia: a review of literature. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2014;8(1):1-5. doi:10.5681/joddd.2014.001
12. Visser BWOD, Goor C. Electromyographic and reflex study in idiopathic and symptomatic trigeminal neuralgias: latency of the jaw and blink reflexes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr 1974;37:1225-1230
13. Gubian A, Rosahl SK. Meta-analysis on safety and efficacy of microsurgical and radiosurgical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:757-767. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2017.04.085
14. Pollack IF, Jannetta PJ, Bissonette DJ. Bilateral trigeminal neuralgia: a 14-year experience with microvascular decompression. J Neurosurg 1988;68(4):559-565. doi:10.3171/jns.1988.68.4.0559
15. Dishman JD, Ball KA, Burke J. First prize: central motor excitability changes after spinal manipulation: a transcranial magnetic stimulation study. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2002;25(1):1-9.